VIA - the Vancouver Island Adventure Trip

Detailing our circumnavigation of vancouver island by sailboat. Check out the May archive for background and planning information.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Day 42: published late, too

Day 42 – more motoring!!

More loonshit to deal with after we raised the anchor!

It was a quick motor across to Bamfield; we could have sailed for the last hour or so, but we didn’t – low energy day. I did not sleep well last night; even worse than usual for this trip. It was hot below last night and after hearing the 01:30 bell, I went topsides with a beer, my headlamp and read for a while; then I just sat in the dark and looked at the stars. I haven’t seen such a clear sky since we lived on our acreage near Cochrane; quite a sight.

There was a low level noise that sounded like freeway traffic which was the sound of the pounding surf a few miles away. I think I finally went to bed about 3 a.m. and then not sure when I actually got to sleep. I’m a grumpy puppy today.

Bamfield is on both sides of the inlet/harbour which acts as “mainstreet”. East Bamfield is connected by road to Port Alberni and Duncan and has most of the businesses including a pub. West Bamfield is more “layed back”..if that is possible and has no road connection to anywhere. The frontage is a boardwalk from the docks to the entrance where the Coast Guard Rescue boat station is. Across from there is the Marine Institute; which is owned by UBC and 4 other university for doing marine studies. It is housed in what used to be the terminal station for the undersea telegraph cable. (In the olden days before satellites and the internet, devices were connected by wire, even if they were separated by oceans).

Bamfield has a nice easy feeling and has to be one of my favourite towns on this trip. The walk across the inlet to Bradey’s beach is “must-do” if you are ever here. Nice sandy patches between dramatic rocky outcrops make for good photo ops!

It was very hot today; it got up to 32 down below at the dock; too hot for me but Ralph seems to enjoy it. I even had to stop him closing his hatch to let some air circulate; I’m sure he is tired of hearing me moan and complain about the heat. I hope Robin is making out O.K; she is driving through the interior today on her way back from visiting her brother on SaltSpring Is.
We are now in the home stretch; depending on weather ( and if skipper gets any sleep) we should be in Port Renfrew tomorrow (about 45miles), somewhere near Victoria the next day and back at Canoe Cove on Wednesday.

Tonight gales are forecasted in our area but they are due to ease tomorrow. We plan on about a 08:00 getaway, weather permitting. If we do go, it will be a longish day, about 9 hours to get to Port Renfrew; my concern is that my lack of sleep on a long day on the water will up the probability of making a stupid mistake. The other concern of course is being out in more wind than we need to deal with and finally, Port Renfrew is not the most sheltered spot; if winds are up and from wrong direction, it may not be the best spot to be. However, there are no other options from here; other than to carry on for another 35-45 miles and be near Victoria; that is not an option in my mind since that would have us finishing a very long day in the dark, tired and burned to a crisp.

Being cautious has worked so far and there is no reason to abandon that plan now; other than the desire to get home now that we can smell the barn.\\








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home